Bill Allombert on Thu, 25 Oct 2012 21:59:16 +0200

Re: forprime in 32bit is 50x slower if p>2^32

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 03:34:46PM -0400, Charles Greathouse wrote:
> > Maybe we could at least replace 210 by something larger.
>
> Maybe. Maybe even use a small sieve if the numbers are large enough
> (not in this case...), say of length 4 log x (98% likely to contain
> the next prime).
>
> > If you had to debug ellheegner in 32bit, you might change your mind.
> >
> > Beside ARM users are stuck with 32bit for some years still.
>
> Yes, it's bad for Windows and ARM users (as well as legacy users). I
> do think it would be nice, but I have a hard time seeing how it could
> be fit in. Even if I had a machine to test with I owe Karim an
> implementation of forfactored() first.

Well, I do not mean to insist, but I need to clarify that it is usually very
easy to build 32bit binaries on a 64bit system.  There is no need for a new
machine or a new OS or even a new compiler, only a 32bit libc. Just do
CC='gcc -m32' ./Configure.