Bill Allombert on Fri, 04 Sep 2009 13:02:39 +0200

Re: pari svn fails on solaris , missing -fPIC

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 03:44:53PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> Yes, but we are using -mimpure-text in the linker flag.
>
> So to summary the situation:
> 1) PARI need to know about sun4v.
> 2) PARI must either use -fPIC or -mimpure-text on 32bit sparc because
> of [1] below.
> 3) Since sun4v was not reckognized, PARI did not set -mimpure-text
> so -fPIC was required.
>
> At this point, what is required is some benchmark to see whether
> -mimpure-text is actually faster than -fPIC. The flag -mimpure-text
> used to be required because the assembly sparc kernel was not PIC, but
> this has been fixed now, so it should work.
>
> So could you run some tests to see whether it is better to keep -mimpure-text
> instead of -fPIC ?

Could you also retry with SVN revision at least 11893 ?
This should fix 1) and revert to using -mimpure-text instead of -fPIC.

(Personnally I would move to -fPIC everywhere but there is quite an historical
practice not to do that).