Justin C. Walker on Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:22:07 +0100

Re: Lowering compiler optimisation with Apple gcc

On Dec 15, 2006, at 12:49 , Jason Martin wrote:

I've had excellent luck on my Core 2 Mac with the latest version of gcc using

  CFLAGS="-m64 -fast"

I've also ported and optimized GMP for Core 2 Macs, and using my port
of GMP I get Pari benchmarks on my Mac Pro that out perform all of the
Opteron machines I have access to.  For details, see my website (in my
signature).

I have not encountered any "bugs" in Apple's gcc, but I have
encountered "frustrations" because the Apple gcc options are not
compatible with the Linux options that I'm familiar with.

One subtle point of building for Core 2 Macs is that current versions
of the autoconf tools do not correctly detect the CPU type.  This is
because the "uname -m" command returns the rather unhelpful "i386"
rather than the "x86_64" that one might expect.  So, you have to
manually detect the CPU (Agner Fog has some nice routines for this).

Thanks for posting these tidbits.  They will prove useful.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
Director