Bill Allombert on Sun, 23 May 2004 00:55:08 +0200

Re: gp: anal.c more bugs

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 02:31:09PM -0700, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 10:33:11PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > Last time I build Math::PARI, it required to rebuild PARI entirely
> > and installed its own version
> > (/usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1/auto/Math/Pari/Pari.so)
> > and so make no use of libpari.
>
> This is a build option now.  And anyway, this is chicken and egg: when
> the high-level stuff is available through an installed library, this
> option has a chance to become a default.  Right now such a build is
> very crippled.

You can build a gp.so which is linked against the libpari.so.
We cannot provide a rigid interface for GP internals anyway.

> > Also honestly, Math::BigInt (with GMP support) is a better option for
> > perl crypto modules. Math::PARI can only be slower and more bloated
> > (PARI being much more than a BigInt package).
>
> I think that Math::Pari is about 3 orders of magnitude quickier that

Are you sure GMP support was enabled ? (Math::BigInt is part of the
base perl install, but the GMP support is optionnal and need to
be installed separately).

Does they use more than modular arithmetic ?

> Math::BigInt.  [However, what is a better option should be determined
> not only by speed, but by other factors too.  Myself, I'm puzzled by
> the fact that Math::Pari is made a prerequisite...]

I agree, I always found that was strange.