Igor Schein on Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:17:17 -0400

Re: 64 bit installation on sparcv9

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 04:53:48PM +0200, Franck MICHEL wrote:
> Hi developpers,
>
> I've tried to install Pari/GP 64-bit version on sparcv9/solaris, but
> without success. I've tried different configuration options (in particular
> options suggested by Gerhard Niklasch and Igor Schein found in the archives
> of this list), but I always failed.
>
> If you have an idea of options I could try, I'm very interested.

You need to do either

env CC="gcc -m64" ./Configure ...

or

env CC="cc -xarch=v9" CFLAGS="-xarch=v9" ./Configure ...

depending on whethere you're using GNU cc or Forte cc.

The reason for specifying -xarch=v9 twice is default -fast compiler
macro, which automatically expands into 32bit.

These constructs are just using the existing pari build philosophy.
There're a few direction in which it can evolve, but I am personally
torn between different approaches.  For example, what should be the
default target, i.e. should it try to build a generic binary capable
of running on all variants of a specific platform, or should it try to
optimize specificly for the variant of the build machine.  For
example, on the fastest machine in the world, Alpha 21364, I use
CFLAGS="-fast -arch ev68 -tune ev68".  This won't run on all earlier
variants of Alpha.

I think adapting GMP's model of detecting architecture would be the
safest approach, and would also be an improvement over the currect
scheme.  I always take mainstream over proprietary, and that's why I
have indicated my preference on using autoconf build scheme, even
though I do acknowledge all the drawbacks previously mentioned on the
list in response to that.

Besides, the fact that Pari can currently use GMP kernel which offers
overall improvement over home-grown platfrom-specific kernels is
another reason for making the switch to GMP build target detection.

Igor