Justin C. Walker on Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:41:18 -0700

Re: Performance question

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 07:34 AM, Bill Allombert wrote:

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 02:31:56PM -0700, justin@mac.com wrote:
Hi, all,

There may be something obvious that I'm overlooking, but I am seeing a
performance difference between two machines that seems
counter-intuitive.

I have gp on two Mac OS X systems (10.2.6 and, um, another one).
10.2.6 is on a 450Mhz G4, while the other one is on a 300Mhz G3.  When
I ran 'make bench' on the G3, it seemed to do much better than on the
G4.

parisize = 4000000, primelimit = 500000

FWIW, gcc on the G4 is 3.1, and on the G3 is 3.3.

Care to try with the same compiler on both machines ?

I will give it a try; it's not entirely straightforward, though.

Most probably the difference come from the compiler. The other
possibility is the assembly kernel that can be faster on one CPU than on
the other but I doubt it.

Given the performance differences between G3 and G4 (G3 < G4), both explanations seem problematic, but I don't have enough experience with gcc 3.3 to be sure.

I will fiddle around some more and see what I can find.

Thanks!

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        |   When LuteFisk is outlawed