Bill Allombert on Tue, 8 Apr 2003 13:50:43 +0200

Re: GMP kernel and stack abuse

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 03:36:15AM -0700, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

> > > So do it.  ;-)
> >
> > ... then I am afraid we cannot really avoid pointing at the FAQ. Most
> > people just use whatever libgmp is provided by their software
> > distribution/sysadmin and the default is to use the real alloca.
>
> Hmm; do sysadmins provide GMP?  I would think that one usually does it
> himself; same as with PARI.  Given that gmp-build of PARI is not a
> default, I see no big problem with one recompiling GMP as well.

All Linux distributions ship libgmp, and libgmp is almost always
installed on Linux boxes. Fink also provide libgmp for Darwin, etc...
GMP is linked as a shared library in a large number of GNU/Linux
applications for cryptographic or numeric use, so it is difficult to not
have it installed even if we want to.