Justin Walker on Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:50:58 -0800

Re: 2 recent changes - Mac OS X check

On Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003, at 14:14 US/Pacific, Bill Allombert wrote:

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 01:42:58PM -0800, Justin Walker wrote:
What is the output of
uname -a

Darwin grinch 6.4 Darwin Kernel Version 6.4: Wed Jan 29 18:50:42 PST
2003; root:xnu/xnu-344.26.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc

OK. I have commited a new arch-osname that should work OK.

Just updated, and got new arch-osname, get_cc, and base2.c (Karim's still pounding out code, I see). The Configure script warned me about PowerPC, so it looks right. I'm rebuilding, just for grins.

2) The build didn't actually succeed; I had to hand-tweak it.  There
is
a spurious "-Wl,,/usr/local/lib" in the 'ld' line that causes a
hiccup:
           ld: can't open:  (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

I can reproduce this on a x86 with --host=unknow-darwin

I would rather let Karim fix that.

I can understand :-}

3) There are a few oddities in the 'configure' phase I don't yet get:
  - ...I did not find getrlimit.
    ...I did not find opendir.
   These are both in libSystem

PARI only look in libc it seems.

I was not clear.  On Mac OS X, the build (gcc) automatically uses
libSystem. It's the Mac OS X/Darwin version of libc, so I'm unclear as
to why these were missed.  I'll review the log later, and see if I can
track this down.

It tried to compile config/has_opendir.c and failed.
Either it cannot find dirent.h either it cannot find opendir
in the default library.

Thanks for the pointer. Two problems: both has_getrlimit.c and has_opendir.c need <sys/types.h>; and has_getrlimit.c also needs <sys/time.h>. I don't know why this works on other platforms of similar heritage.

I have also added -no-cpp-precomp in get_cc. It was in the old patch. I do not know what it was supposed to achieve, but it was a good idea at the time.

Our gcc uses precompiled headers by default. For stuff that builds with Mac OS X frameworks, it is a significant improvement in compile time. For stuff that comes from the Unix world, it's not a real help, and can sometimes waste time, so for a package like pari/gp, it makes sense to turn it off.

I'll continue to look at what's not working well. Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        | Some people have a got a mental