Michael Somos on Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:40:36 -0500

Re: Vec vs Vecsmall

pari-dev,

As Ilya wrote :

> IMO, Vecsmall() should be an *optimization* only.  The code which uses
> Vecsmall() should not notice if Vecsmall() is aliased to Vec().

this is a sensible point of view. As Karim explained, it is not possible
for Vecsmall("a") to return "a", however, it is possible to go the other
way round and have Vec("a") return what Vecsmall returns now. I don't
think that there is much code which depends on the current behavior, and
it needs only a bit of work to be modified for changed behavior. Shalom,
Michael