Bill Allombert on Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:55:25 +0100

Re: --host in Configure

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 03:45:48PM +0100, Karim BELABAS wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > I have made a new patch for Darwin that may work better than the previous one,
> > added with the recent change in the CVS.
> >
> > Please try it.
> >
> > Also it would be nice to add support in gp2c, but I need more info
> > about dlcompat.
>
> Please commit it: it looks OK, and we can always fix problems later; also, it
> will be much easier to track down exactly what's going on.

Thanks. Since the main branch seems to have stabilized a bit I will sync
it to the gmp-kernel, so gmp-kernel will have the big LLL improvement.

The next step is to split mp.c in several files to be shared between
kernels. This is much easier with the new makefile system.

> Btw, in the dlcompat distro, there is a very short dlcn_simple.c file (~150
> lines of [GPL-ed] C code) providing a complete dlopen()/dlsym()/dlerror()
> interface on Darwin.
>
> It looks simpler to just include it in src/systems/darwin, just like Ilya did
> for OS/2, than to have elaborate Configure logic to try and detect this
> non-standard package ( and document it; most users will simply not know this
> may be needed, or how to set it up. )

I agree since MacOS X is not designed specially for hard-core UNIX hackers :)
Also this will allow us to fix the '_' problem with less kludge.