allomber on Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:09:21 +0200

Re: 22- polgalois()

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 07:02:53PM +0200, Karim BELABAS wrote:
> I fear this is quite convincing.
>
> OK, I've undone the polgalois() change, so that the old naming scheme is back
> in effect (sigh). There's a new boolean default new_galois_format: if set to
> true, you'll get the new format [set to false = 0] by default. I will
> eventually set it to true, someday.

The standard way to handle compatibility is to define increasing compatibility
level and to default to the highest supported.

Something like:
GP 1.39 level 0
GP 2.1  level 1
GP 2.3  level 2

so that scripts can start with
default(compat,N)
to specify the compat level they need.

Unfortunately the GP compat level is decreasing and we are
already at 0...

Also 2.2 already have several incompatibilities anyway for which we do not
provide compatible alternatives, unfortunately.

Maybe new_galois_format can simply be a flag to polgalois() instead ?