Bill Allombert on Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:17:25 +0100 (MET)

Plotting problem with y scaling

Helllo,

I try to draw the curve y=1/(x^2+x^3) , but I cannot get a clean output,
the infinites values in 0 and -1 have a disatrous effect on the output.
With ploth the scaling is bad.
I have not found any other possibilities to change the y scaling that using
the rather complex plotrecth function.

I try plotrecth as follow
plotinit(0,1,1,1);
plotscale(0,-5,5,-10,10);
plotrecth(0,x=-5,5,1/(x^2+x^3),4);
plotdraw([0,0,0])

The result is better but when I come to printing with
plotinit(0,1,1,1);
plotscale(0,-5,5,-12,12);
plotrecth(0,x=-5,5,1/(x^2+x^3),4);
psdraw([0,0,0])

Ghostview complain on the pari.ps file ,
Unrecoverable error: limitcheck in lineto
on these kind of line
-1609366 619 lineto
-1593332 620 lineto

so it seems that pari attempt to draw line far outside the page.

Does a nice workaround exists ? This problem is not specific to PARI,
any plotting system has difficulty with asymptots.

Does it exist a simple solution to specify the y scaling ?

Bill.