Gerhard Niklasch on Wed, 15 Jul 1998 12:38:29 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: Query about factorpadic

A short while ago, I wrote in
> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 10:52:20 +0200 (MET DST)

> However, as Nigel pointed out, once you have split f into distinct
> factors mod p^k for some modest k, and no factor has a repeated root
> mod p^k in the Q_p algebra Q_p[X]/(f), you have reached the shore -

etc.  As David Kohel kindly pointed out in email, this was rather
confused - I should have been talking about repeated factors mod p^k
instead, and declared that you've reached the shore when there are
none left.  (Blame it on lack of caffeine and many long nights devoted
to PARI's integer factorizer. :)

Newton polygons, which I mentioned a few lines down, may still come in
handy, and now I can add a (standard) reference - Neal Koblitz, GTM58
`p-adic Numbers...', IV.3.

Enjoy, Gerhard