Joerg Arndt on Sun, 31 Jan 2016 09:08:24 +0100

Re: What am I doing wrong? Extremely simple problem

* carl hansen <carlhansen1234@gmail.com> [Jan 31. 2016 08:47]:
> [...]
>
> Arghhh!!!! In my shell font, minus and dash are indistinguishable! Damn
> computers!
>
> [...]

In case you are using Emacs, the following is handy,
especially for material obtained by copy and paste.
The code should be in your startup file.

;; from: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FindingNonAsciiCharacters
;;(defun find-first-non-ascii-char ()
(defun ascii-check ()
  "Move cursor under the first non-ascii character in file."
  (interactive)
  (let (point)
    (save-excursion
      (goto-char (point-min)) ;; check whole file
      (setq point
            (catch 'non-ascii
              (while (not (eobp))
                (or (eq (char-charset (following-char)) 'ascii)
                    (progn
                      (message "Non-ascii now under cursor.")
                      (throw 'non-ascii (point)) )
                    )
                (forward-char 1)))))
    (if point
        (goto-char point)
      (message "OK (no non-ascii characters in file)."))))

Best regards,   jj