Bill Allombert on Tue, 24 Jul 2012 15:23:07 +0200

Re: Pari/GP under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin)

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 02:39:08PM +0200, Dirk Laurie wrote:
> I then ran `strace ./gp-2.5`.  It revealed that many files from /usr/local
> were being opened.  I have a very recent pari-gp on /usr/local.  I renamed
> /usr/local to something else.  This time I got the streamer
>                   GP/PARI CALCULATOR Version 2.5.0 (released)
>               i686 running linux (ix86/GMP kernel) 32-bit version
>         compiled: Nov 17 2011, gcc-4.6.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.2-2ubuntu1)
>                  (readline v6.2 enabled, extended help enabled)
> Again with strace: it was trying the same files first, this time not finding
> them.
> So what's happening is that running the gp binary from Precise does not
> mean that it will be using the libraries from Precise too.

This actually depend on the configuration of the dynamic loader
(the files /etc/, /etc/* and the environment

Allowing the user to override the default installation is considered a feature.

I would say that the issue was that you had a library is /usr/local that was
missing some dependencies. Note that GP was working correctly with both libraries
once this was fixed.