Bill Allombert on Thu, 21 Jun 2012 20:45:09 +0200

Re: Pol, Ser

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 07:49:28PM +0200, Dirk Laurie wrote:
> The description of Pol, Polrev and Ser, etc in the User's Manual is
> clear and unambiguous.

I wonder, because it starts in a bad way:

Pol(x,{v = x})
Both x are different things.

> What is not stated is why the decision on the default for v was
> made that way.  Why is v not the main variable of whatever one is
> converting?  Particularly if that main variable is the only variable?

I think you have a specific example in mind, so I will give you another:

The main variable of [y+1,y+2,y+3] is 'y' but Pol([y+1,y+2,y+3]) cannot
return a polynomial in 'y' because it would be invalid, so it returns
(y+1)*x^2+(y+2)*x+(y+3).