Bill Allombert on Mon, 08 Nov 2010 11:00:37 +0100

Re: Integration

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 02:54:48PM +0200, Sumaia Saad-Eddin wrote:
> Dear all,
>   here is a simple script I use:
{calF3b(n, y, borne=0)=
   if(borne == 0,
      res = intnum(u = y, [[1], I],
      res = intnum(u = y, borne,
> Can anyone explain me why these results are so
> different, or give me a pointer to some litterature?

intnum uses the double-exponential integration method that has strong regularity requirement,
but is often much faster than intnumromb.

The correct integration formula to use is:
intnum(u = y,borne, expr ) = intnum(u = y,[[1],I], expr ) - intnum(borne, [[1],I], expr )

This avoid the exponential growth of the cosinus when the imaginary part get large
(after the change of variable).

I suggest reading Pascal Molin Ph.D. thesis (Bordeaux, 2010) for more detail.