Luis Felipe Tabera Alonso on Thu, 15 Jul 2010 21:24:05 +0200

nffactor vs factornf

Hello all,

I have a newbie question about how pari deals with factorization with
algebraic numbers.

According to the documentation, factornf uses Trager's trick to perform a
factorization over the rationals and nffactor uses Van Hoeij's method, which
is preferable in many cases, but it needs a nf structure.

I have some complicated number fields where I would like to factor
polynomials. If I already have the nf structure, I can use nffactor without
problems. But for these fields nf is very expensive, so factornf is faster (I
will not factor so many polynomials to do the effort).

But, as I understand Van Hoeij method, one does not need the nf structure, it
may increase performance though. I am correct? Is there a way to use Van
Hoeij's method without computing nf of the number field?

Thanks for this good piece of software.

Luis