Jeremy Porter on Tue, 02 Feb 2010 02:52:11 +0100
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
ellap hangs on a large-ish prime
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: ellap hangs on a large-ish prime
- From: Jeremy Porter <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 21:50:24 -0400
- Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 02:52:11 +0100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:date:message-id:subject :from:to:content-type; bh=v9XJTBbCz/+3mQFnxB6Dv+WXLhl4k768DbOYlyufvkU=; b=vVPhVgnQl0w2OY4FLyqHV76gEGe2s9gZ9nmm1Aemma4JrlyxPRjxMv4So84Z4ltuea Dewnps2LBFF0YqHfyPOXi5tRJUZv08dcfDjkBdjCm8mE1ZweT++8dk741L0ve3ONUcyG tJhuH1KG2K8mmCcmpIMuwgvtIiFamfZSc6ncc=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; b=DP3B11Ly19YM0BkutoBPSGJcGjiT0eRZzccWwJH7FgmT19p1axRTyEIhTnLlSzluNt chMNURoM3tu252z6sBI6WxFX7YAgyJUeKC2LQsJjgPYsS5ZZ9W7vSfV15jCjn5xBYWM7 8IJfwgfia6OE7SOHZ0WqliCivJ7UPYQ5YXNgw=
- Mailing-list: contact firstname.lastname@example.org; run by ezmlm
In iteratively computing values of ellap(E,P) for the curve E = ellinit([0,0,1,-1,0]) for primes P of increasing size, I noticed that when P = 2486152157 my iteration would hang. Primes in a similar range (i.e., nextprime(P+1) = 2486152159) are computed in well under a second, however I left this value of P to compute overnight without result.
I initially noticed this when using libpari in a C program, then confirmed it with the GP calculator. An example follows:
E = ellinit([0,0,1,-1,0]);
P = 2486152157;
The first ellap() call gives me -25014 in 4ms. The second call does not return, and gives no error. The GP calculator was installed on an Ubuntu 9.10 system through the usual aptitude repositories, with the following header information:
GP/PARI CALCULATOR Version 2.3.4 (released)
i486 running linux (ix86/GMP-4.2.2 kernel) 32-bit version
compiled: Nov 6 2008, gcc-4.3.3 20081030 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.3.2-2ubuntu1)
(readline v5.2 enabled, extended help available)
This is running on an Intel i5 (64 bit) processor, and I have encountered the same problem on another Ubuntu/64-bit system, as well as on a (much) older system I had lying around running Ubuntu 6.10 and v2.3.0 of the GP calculator, on a 32-bit processor.
On the Intel i5 system, I do not encounter this problem if I download the latest source (pari-2.3.4.tar.gz) and simply run ./Configure with 'make all'. Doing this, the same ellap(E, P) call as above returns (correctly, I believe) -13740.
I'm not sure if this is a bug, a quirk, my own oversight, or what, but I would very much welcome any insight!