Karim Belabas on Wed, 28 Feb 2007 02:50:03 +0100

Re: Variable ordering

* William Hart [2007-02-26 15:59]:
> I can't seem to find a solution to the following
> problem. It's a long post, but the problem is quite
> simple, I've just taken some time to characterise it
> as well as possible.
[...]
> I've tried using local variables, but this doesn't
> work, as they all appear to be set to 0, which isn't
> what you want for a variable that you want to use in a
> rational function.

Apart from what Bill already answered, the following construction
cures the above problem [ but not the original one ! ] :

  fun() =
  {
    local(y = 'y);
  }

[ Declares a local variable whose value is the unevaluated degree-1
monomial 'y'. Unfortunately, this doesn't change the priority of the
variable 'y', if it was already defined. ]

Cheers,

    K.B.
--
Karim Belabas                  Tel: (+33) (0)5 40 00 26 17
Universite Bordeaux 1          Fax: (+33) (0)5 40 00 69 50