Robert Harley on Thu, 06 Oct 2005 00:41:57 +0200

Fwd: Pari on P3 vs P4 binary windows distro

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Robert Harley <>
Date: Oct 5, 2005 10:58 PM
Subject: Re: Pari on P3 vs P4 binary windows distro
To: cino hilliard <>

On 10/3/05, cino hilliard <> wrote:
I have been running a script to store prime numbers
Why are you doing so i.e., what is your final aim?
Storing large files is probably not the best way to go.

Just a week or so ago I noticed that my P3 1 ghz 256 meg ram runs about  4
times faster
than my p4 2.53 ghz 2 gig ram. I have reinstalled cygwin from the website
and still my p4
writes about 300,000 bytes while my p3 writes 1,100,000. The p3 will do
blocks of 5 billion
in about 30 hours.

With C code, sieving in memory will do 5 billion in about a minute on such a machine,
which is comparable to the time to reload a precomputed table from disk.

Again: what do you want to do with these tables?