McLaughlin, James on Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:32:18 +0100

Computing a system of fundamental units

I have an irreducible polynomial in Z[x], P say, of degree 31 or higher   and I want to compute a system of fundamental units for the number filed K defined by this polynomial over Q.

I know that

  bnfinit(P,1)[8][5]

will output a set of fundamental units, but I am wondering if there is a more efficient/less time-consuming way to do it, since I do not need any of the other information that bnfinit generates about K.

Can anyone suggest some more efficient code?

Thanks.

Jimmy Mc Laughlin.