Justin C. Walker on Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:11:06 -0700

Re: Kronecker symbol

I'm not sure that your assumptions are correct.

Starting with Legendre, the symbol is defined for a, p, with p prime (and (a|p)=+/- 1); Jacobi extends this to (a|n) for general odd n, making it multiplicative in n. Kronecker then extends Jacobi to n=2. I'd think that you'd end up with something like (3|4)=(3|2)^2=1.

Once you extend Legendre, I think you are out of the "a is a square mod b" realm; for example, (-7|15)=1, but -7 (== 8) is not a square mod 15.

I can't answer the second question, and a check of the source offers no hints. FWIW, I believe that quadratic (== real?) characters all have the form (a|b) (due to Dirichlet, I think).

Regards,

Justin