Bill Allombert on Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:11:37 +0200

Re: How to plot in a dumb terminal ?

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 09:35:07AM +0200, Thomas Baruchel wrote:
> Brest, le mardi 24 septembre
> Hi,
> I'm always working in text/mode; what I like with gnuplot
> is that you can type 'set terminal dumb' and have your
> graphics in text/mode. Pari-GP seems to do the same:
> if I type 'plot(x=0,1,x^2)' I have what I want.

Alternatively, you can try to build PARI/GP with gnuplot support.

> how can I have the following specifications:
> plot a function, say f(x) with
>   x ONLY AN INTEGER from 0 to 100
>     (because f(x) returns incoherent values if x isn't an integer;
>     please, don't answer something like plot(x=0,100,f(round(x)))
>     because f is quite long to compute, and I really don't want
>     f(6) to be computed twice)
>   the graphic should be in text/mode

There is no general terminal driver.
You can do:

> Is there some README on internet that could help me to use the
> plotting functions (text or html wanted; I know that almost
> eveything concerning GP is in PDF, but I can't see it, just
> print it :-(

That not exactly true. GP documentation is in TeX, which you can convert
to various format. The easiest are DVI and Postscript.
Three site to look up

Karim's Home page:

Online reference manual for the GP routines (HTML)

TeXinfo translation of the documentation (info,HTML,DVI)