Ilya Zakharevich on Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:05:27 -0400

Re: Can't build Math::PARI

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 02:22:31PM +0200, Karim.Belabas wrote:
> I checked with perl-5.005_03 on Solaris, and indeed it was quite tough to
> get Math::PARI to compile:

Look in

  ftp://ftp.math.ohio-state.edu/pub/users/ilya/perl/modules/

> 2) On solaris, it fails if SUNWspro is not installed

Never saw this reported.

> 3) Header files get tangled up (/usr/include/sys/dl.h attempts to declare
> ladd which pari.h already defined with a different meaning)

Again, I never saw this.

> Unfortunately, Math::PARI attempts to support old and instable version [e.g
> in the range 1.39 --> 2.0.20],

What is unfortunate with this?

> and replicates a lot of 'Configure' logic all by itself,

Right.  But this is hardly avoidable.

> quite incorrectly at times:

There was a bug with gcc on sparc, corrected in the recent versions.
If you know more, let me know.

> a) less than optimal compiler optimization flags, and an obsolete
> compiler also on my machine.

Perl modules are compiled to be compatible with Perl.  Changing the
optimization flags *may* break this.  If you have suggestions which
changes are safe, let me know.  [This is one of the reasons why I do
not try to use a prebuilt pari.lib.]

> b) The shared library Pari.so eventually produced is incorrect:
>
>   ld.so.1: /home/belabas/bin/solaris/perl: elf error:
>   blib/arch/auto/Math/Pari/Pari.so: bad ELF type: ET_NONE at
>   /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/DynaLoader.pm line 169.

Again, I never saw this.  Probably a result of your patches?  ;-)

I may use some of your patches.  BTW, is -lsunmath needed any more?

Ilya