Karim.Belabas on Mon, 7 May 2001 14:59:23 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: Windows 98 and Readline.

On Sat, 5 May 2001, Lopez de la Fuente, Jose Manrique wrote:
> I am a new GP/Pari user. I am using now GP 2.1.1 version, and it works
> great, but using 2.1.1 version with readline I can't type any character
> produced by ALT GR key: [], \,.. How can it be done?
> I am using Windows version.

  the easiest solution is to download from

the files

[ if the Cygwin DLL is already installed on your system, only download the
second one of course! ]. And install then both somewhere in your PATH.

They should replace the binary that you've picked, which is presumably

I am going to drop native windows support completely since I haven't
succeeded in eliminating the kind of glitches that you stumbled upon [due to
problematic interactions between the mingw32 port of readline and Windows I/O
library]. The Cygwin compatibility library allows to run GP pretending it is
running on a Unix system, it is no slower than the mingw32 binary (slightly
faster than the M$VC one, apparently), and easier to maintain.

You could live with your native binary, provided you write a translation
table for readline [a so-called `inputrc file'], but it is a bit awkward.

This is all explained in the file /windows/README on the ftp server
(README.WIN in the standard distribution). But this file offers too many
solutions, hence apparently ends up being confusing instead of helpful.

Hope this helps,

Karim Belabas                    email: Karim.Belabas@math.u-psud.fr
Dep. de Mathematiques, Bat. 425
Universite Paris-Sud             Tel: (00 33) 1 69 15 57 48
F-91405 Orsay (France)           Fax: (00 33) 1 69 15 60 19
PARI/GP Home Page: http://www.parigp-home.de/