Mark Andrews on Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:58:24 -0800

Primality Testing Question

I'm a developer (not a mathematician) recently tasked with finding 1) a primality test algorithm for numbers at least up to about 10^20 and preferably 10^40. It must be a test for true primality, not pseudo primality 2) a factoring algorithm. Poking around a bit, I came across Pari. The manual leads me to believe a good composite pseudo primality test is incorporated, but I have no idea from docs what range of numbers IsPrime() is valid for as a true primality test. In addition, I would appreciate a coded example of how to do factorization using Pari. The ideal would be to incorporate, as a library, those parts of Pari applicable to the task into a Windows 32 bit executable. I read Bill Daly's instructions and got the calculator to compile fine. Any help at this point would be appreciated.

Mark Andrews
Director of Product Design and Development
Origin Data, Inc. (805) 965-8115 x125
104 West Anapamu, Suite C                                   (805) 965-7880 fax
Santa Barbara, CA 93101