Michael Somos on Sun, 31 Oct 1999 20:10:34 -0500 (EST)

?? help hilighting bug

I am not sure exactly if this is a bug, but it seems so to me. I am using

                    GP/PARI CALCULATOR Version 2.0.17 (beta)
                i686 running linux (ix86 kernel) 32-bit version

with a terminal emulator rxvt. When I use the advanced help :

gp> ??fordiv

   the  formal  variable  X  ranging  through  the positive divisors of n,  the
sequence seq is evaluated. n must be of type integer.

The name of the function "fordiv" is in a red color and "seq" is underlined.
So far so good. Now I try a similar thing with another function :

gp> ??forstep
forstep(X = a,b,s,seq):

   the  formal  variable  X going from a to b,  in increments of s,  the seq is
evaluated.  Nothing is done if s > 0 and a > b or if s < 0 and a < b. s must be
in R^* or a vector of steps [s_1,...,s_n].   In the latter case, the successive
steps are used in the order they appear in s.

   ? forstep(x = 5, 20, [2,4], print(x))

Here the function name "forstep" again is in a red color and "seq" is also
underlined. However, a few more strings are also in red. Namely the "R" and
then the example code which is all in red. Finally, my "gp>" prompt becomes
red and stays that way. This means that the "bold" attribute is not turned
off or restored to its original status after the help message. Annoying.
Shalom, Michael

Michael Somos <somos@grail.cba.csuohio.edu>     Cleveland State University
http://grail.cba.csuohio.edu/~somos/            Cleveland, Ohio, USA 44115