Thomas Papanikolaou on Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:42:52 +0100 (MET)

Re: factor() bug?

Hi there,

> I don't know if this is a version-specific or system-specific problem.

I think the problem you describe is system-specific. I tried your input

> factor(18444562698542235648)

on linux-i686, linux-alpha, solaris-sparcv[8,9] and I could not reproduce
the error.

The code producing the error message is in

	pari/src/modules/mpqs.c, line 635 in the function

               mpqs_mergesort_lp_file()

It seems that the rename() function implementation on WinNT is different
to the UNIX one. So you may want to look into the doc for it (and send
it to us) in order to find a work-around.

	Cheers
		Thomas

Thomas Papanikolaou (PhD)  email: papanik@math.u-bordeaux.fr
A2X - Laboratoire d'Algorithmique Arithmétique eXpérimentale
351, cours de la Libération, 33 405 Talence cedex, France