木村 巌 on Sat, 14 Nov 1998 01:52:15 +0900

Re: C stack overflow in 2.0.12

Dear developers,

From: Karim BELABAS <Karim.Belabas@math.u-psud.fr>
Subject: Re: C stack overflow in 2.0.12
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:14:49 +0100 (MET)

> GP is not protected against that ((f()=f()); f fails just the same), [I could
> prevent the final crash by specify an alternate stack for signals, e.g use
> sigaltstack(2) on Solaris (thx for the tip, Igor!), but I haven't done it
> yet. But I can do nothing about the SEGV...]

There is sigaltstack(2) on FreeBSD also. SunOS4.1.x has sigstack(2)
for similar semantics. The man page for sigaltstack(2) of FreeBSD
tells (as its History section) that `The predecessor to sigaltstack(),
the sigstack() system call, appeared in 4.2BSD'. So many OS's which
have favor of BSD may have the system call at issue.

> > ? a.b
> infinite recursion (need to call a.b to evaluate a.b).

Surely. So one can say that avoiding infinite recursion is the users'
responsibility.

|           Iwao KIMURA  <iwao@math.tsukuba.ac.jp>            |
|                  Institute of Mathematics,                  |
|           University of TSUKUBA, IBARAKI, JAPAN.            |