Karim Belabas on Mon, 01 Aug 2016 10:31:01 +0200

Re: online HTML docs

* Bill Allombert [2016-07-30 23:25]:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 12:08:13PM +0200, Karim Belabas wrote:
> > P.S. Thanks to everybody who commented and submitted bug reports !
> >
> > The /html/ version uses frames which are scheduled to be replaced by a css
> > equivalent. The /ref/ version should pass a HTML5 validator (and
> > currently misses a few sections like "GP operators" and the introduction
> > to "readline").
>
> What would be nice would be an single URL scheme that gives a link to the
> documentation of any GP function.

0) Some keywords like 'log' or 'readline' are ambiguous; compare ??log
and ??default(log). Assuming in the sequel you don't care about 'defaults' ...

1) Two extremes are relatively easy to obtain from gphtml:
- one page per keyword
    html/pages/bnfinit.html
(for this one keeping internal links functional will be hard)

- one global page with named anchors for keywords
    html/index.html#bnfinit

But both would be inconvenient I'm afraid : the first one gives no context
nor opportunity to look around (the beginning a help section for
instance); the second one would be bulky and presumably slow to load.

2) I kind of like the current grouping by "help section" and I'd prefer
to keep it way. Would something like

    html/9.html#bnfinit

be suitable ? You need to know the help section number for this
(9 for bnfinit) but inside gp it's not a problem ( ep->menu ). Of course

  General_number_fields.html#bnfinit

already works but you need to know the section name as normalized by gphtml,
which is less convenient; whereas gphtml can trivially soft link

  General_number_fields.html -> 6.html

while dumping the HTML pages since it knows the correspondance.

Cheers,

    K.B.
--
Karim Belabas, IMB (UMR 5251)  Tel: (+33) (0)5 40 00 26 17
Universite de Bordeaux         Fax: (+33) (0)5 40 00 69 50