Loïc Grenié on Sat, 28 Mar 2015 22:55:24 +0100

Re: bnfinit new record: degree 105

On 2015-03-25 around 15:58 GMT+01:00 Bill Allombert wrote:
> One conclusion is that, if the size of the discriminant is fixed, then
> bnfinit is faster on fields of large degree than on fields of small degree.

     I've observed that on several occasions. The main reason in the
computations
  I have done (in collaboration with G. Molteni) is that a sum on the
zeros of the
  Dedekind zeta function often comes with a negative coefficient for the degree.
  This could be interpreted as: for fixed degree, as the discriminant
gets higher
  the field becomes more complicated.

        Loïc