Maximilian Hasler on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 22:16:45 +0100

Re: Square of an unsigned integer without products.

It would be nice if you could be a little less cryptic to save time
(needed to understand), to all those which receive this message.

I hope no computer uses
sum(i=1,2  (some other sum independent of i)  )
to compute twice that other sum, by doing all the calculation two
times ; while multiplication by 2 is achieved with nearly zero
computational complexity by binary left shift.

Why do you want to avoid "multiplication", do you think it is more
expensive than a triple nested sum ? This is certainly not the case.
(cf. e.g.

As a side note (since you post this on a PARI list, which is maybe not
really the best place for such a question),
the " my(i,j,k); " statement leads to a useless duplicate of the
summation variables.
(They are automatically declared as local variable by the for(..) statement.)

Best regards,