John Cremona on Tue, 04 Sep 2012 10:17:19 +0200

Re: New experimental GP interface for elliptic curves over finite fields

On 3 September 2012 22:42, Bill Allombert
<Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 08:33:37PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:

>> > I have just added support for ordinary curves over finite field of characteristic 2.
>>
>> I have added support for supersingular curves over finite field of characteristic 2,
>> and corrected a lot of bugs.
>
> I have reimplemented the support for ordinary curves over finite field of characteristic 2
> to use Harley algorithm. This is much faster now.
>
> ? a=ffgen(ffinit(2,1024),'a);ellffinit([1,0,0,0,a],a,1);
> ? ##
>   ***   last result computed in 11,482 ms.
>
> (I like the ellffinit interface less and less. Indeed, why wasting time computing
> the group structure if you are looking for curves of prime order ?)

Of course.  When I first wrote the ellzpinit from which I suspect your
ellffinit has evolved, I did want the group structure, and I also
found that in most cases one obtains the group structure along the way
to getting the group order (using the BSGS method, which I was).

I would expect that users would not expect a constructor such as
ellffinit to do any non-trivial work, either group order (except when
the field is very small) or structure (ditto).  They mayjust want to e
playing around with addition of points, say.  In the same way that one
should be allowed to construct a number field without automatically
computing class group & units.

John