Bill Allombert on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 19:47:44 +0200

Re: New experimental GP interface for elliptic curves over finite fields

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 12:16:11PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> Dear PARI developers,
>
> I have added a new experimental interface for elliptic curves over finite
> fields.
> A new function ellffinit is provided to create curves over finite fields:
>
> Create a curves over F_7:
> ? E=ellffinit([1,3],7);
>
> Create a curves over F_101^3:
> ? a=ffgen(ffinit(101,3),'a);
> ? E=ellffinit([1,a^3],a);
>
> (for technical reasons, the characteristic must be >3. This will be fixed eventually.)

I have just added support for ordinary curves over finite field of characteristic 2.

Also I have added a flag to ellffinit to disable the factorisation of d1. This allows
to test the computation of the number of point of curves over large fields.

The whole ellffinit interface needs to be improved anyway, but we first need to implement
the basic features.