Andreas Enge on Mon, 13 Feb 2012 20:12:27 +0100

Re: matconcat

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 08:01:55PM +0100, Karim Belabas wrote:
> Please provide "easy" building blocks of the required dimensions. :-)
> The "best" I can come up with is
>
> {
>   matconcat([A,          vector(2),   vector(3);
>              vectorv(2), B,           matrix(2,3);
>              vectorv(3), matrix(3,2), C]);
> }

Sort of easy, but I agree it will become annoying with more and more diagonal
blocks.

One could argue that this should already be handled by matdiagonal,
instead of creating a 3x3 matrix with matrix entries.

Maybe two functions? matconcat for the cases where mathematicians draw
straight lines on a blackboard, and en extended matdiagonal (with a new
name, if need be) when they draw little boxes on a diagonal?

Andreas