Bill Allombert on Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:58:41 +0200

Re: test-all without optional databases

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 02:56:04PM +0200, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
> Hello pari-dev,
>
> Would you like the idea of having a make target, say "make
> test-all-nodata" which runs all tests from test-all except for those
> needing extra data (ellglobalred, ellsea, galois).

I do not know: ellglobalred use elldata, but actually test a basic built-in GP
function. Skipping this test does not make much practical sense. I am not sure this
would get much use.

> Alternatively (or in addition), would you like the idea of having some
> environment variable indicating tests from test-all to be skipped?
>
> I'm sure both things are easy to implement (I could probably do it), the
> main question is: do you like it?

Implementing a variable SKIP_TEST so that the correct interface
./Configure
SKIP_TEST=ellglobalred make test-all
works is not totally obvious (it require significatnt refactoring of the test system).

> These things would be useful for Sage, because Sage does not ship
> elldata (it does ship seadata and galoisdata).

I would suggest alternatively that Sage ship the files ell0-ell9 of elldata
which are sufficients to run make test-ellglobalred, so the test would not need
to be skipped. I think you proposed a elldata-small package for that. Maybe I could
do that if that would be useful.