Igor Schein on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 18:28:12 +0200
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Improving warning output
- From: Igor Schein <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:28:08 -0400
- Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 18:28:12 +0200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:date:message-id:subject :from:to:content-type; bh=5Kia0cCRAJXerBHrJoxic4/dD6S9vuf9cuwJj8QP+kI=; b=VTiSL+LVh6Ztr7nnd0kGWLniNmXAWiCtf712WvgrO2U81lldYZo4eUTbPiFJrWnOKB /pARmUYbk4ZCYHFtO2CNTWOwpbQybRBshwGjRaQMFtIIOQzMbPYNSn4yj7+09fGe4MFD u/S8JORqcxYQ+zwUMKGTmv7PdJyyTf2WlF3qc=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; b=jlIx79aP6rKVF8OzPdfd/nzAC+MS0FmQvK5ZXPHL3AGi6OQdgYN6XFwpLRW5Q+uLCQ chWbk17Gzr7rpdKp98xwXMHJSX5umfVpx3MpxeG0KQgkhrao6koUzlYZmBa48YnsOilY UoLfethx3Tq1OIuNKh40XMkYMozC8qp7ga1wY=
- Mailing-list: contact firstname.lastname@example.org; run by ezmlm
This is an example I'll be talking about:
*** thue: Warning: Non trivial conditional class group.
*** The result returned by 'thue' is conditional on the GRH.
1) To improve grep-ability of the output, I would strongly consider including the tag "Warning" in all warning lines, not just the first one, if they *must* be split. In this particular example, I would think they can be squeezed into 1 line, though I would like a confirmation from the core PARI/GP developers.
2) If the same output file contains another warning line, say " *** bnfinit: Warning: insufficient precision for fundamental units, not given.", then warning tags wouldn't be aligned vertically, because of length difference between words thue and bnfinit. I would tentatively consider putting tag "Warning" before the function name, to improve visual presentation.