Jeroen Demeyer on Wed, 03 Sep 2008 18:56:29 +0200

Cross compiling PARI/what about autoconf?

Hello PARI developers,

There is a certain thing which I have been wondering for a while, but now it seems to have become more serious: why does PARI not use autoconf?

I would like to cross-compile a powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu version of PARI on a powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu system, but I don't really know how to do it (PARI Configure gives me a warning that architecture powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu is not tested and it assumes that sizeof(long) == 4, which is clearly wrong!)

Apart from this cross-compiling issue, I think there are tons of good reasons to switch to autoconf. In particular, it is something which people know how to use, and I am sure that it will make it easier for GNU/Linux distributions to include PARI.

So basically I want to know if there is a good reason why you don't switch to autoconf or is it just that somebody has to do it. In the latter case, I propose to do it myself. I just developed a small (math) project using autoconf/automake and I don't mind having a look at PARI. I don't really know when I will have time for it, but if you think that it is a good idea, I can start thinking about it.

Cheers,
Jeroen.