Bill Allombert on Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:32:28 +0200

Re: PARI/GP support for finite fields element v2

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 01:17:46PM +1000, Joerg Arndt wrote:
> * Bill Allombert <> [Mar 26. 2007 10:27]:
> I assume there will not be a change in the efficiency of the
> methods, just a better interface, right?

Depends what you call the methods. It is way faster than using

> Specialized routines for GF(p^n) where p<256 would be faster
> than the existing routines (using version 2.3.1).
> For binary fields, the NTL library gives state of art peformace.

Special support for GF(2,n) is in the work.  But this will still be much
slower than NTL.

> I suggest to include (make somehow usable) the known factorizations
> of numbers p^n-1, see

There are some plan to do that, but there are better way to do it than
to store the whole factorisation.