Tom Gettys on Mon, 27 Nov 2006 06:19:27 +0100

Thanks for your considered and complete reply Justin; much appreciated!

Tom Gettys
2929 Warren Street
Eugene, Oregon 97405
(541) 683-1940
To dream of the person you would like to be
is to waste the person you are.

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin C. Walker []
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2006 2:20 PM
To: Pari Developers Pari
Subject: Re: PARI

On Nov 26, 2006, at 13:37 , Tom Gettys wrote:

> Thank you very much for your response Bill.  So, just to be clear,
> there is
> no way to compose a multiline script within PARI, and no way to
> modify one
> that I read in from a file, correct?  Also, I presume that after
> file is
> read using the \r command PARI starts to execute the script
> immediately
> (that is, there is no GO or RUN command).

A) Multiline scripts can be constructed within a gp session:

defines a function that you can use later in your session.

B) if you have built with GNU readline support, then you can modify
the script within the gp session: just "^P" to get back to the
function definition (which may appear on one extended line).

Your best bet in all cases, though, is as Bill suggests: use an
external editor and "\r".

C) If your script is a sequence of executable statements, yes, they
will all be executed when read.  I think in general, they way most of
us work, for even the simplest scripts, is to use functions, so they
just become defined, without themselves being executed.

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
Some people have a mental horizon of radius zero, and
call it their point of view.
   -- David Hilbert