Justin C. Walker on Thu, 09 Mar 2006 21:24:45 +0100

Bug testing 'nfields'

Hi, all,

I have built the following versions of Pari/GP, for Mac OS X, 10.4.5:
  Dual G5/PowerPC: (1.1502)
  Core Duo/ix86:   (1.1500)

In both cases, I get a 'make bench' failure with 'nfields': checking the full output, I see this:

G5:
? rnfinit(nf2,x^5-x-2)
  *** rnfinit: bug in GP (Bus Error), please report
? nfisincl(x^2+1,x^4+1)
  *** nfisincl: bug in GP (Bus Error), please report

Core Duo:
? rnfinit(nf2,x^5-x-2)
  *** rnfinit: bug in GP (Bus Error), please report
? factornf(x^3+x^2-2*x-1,t^3+t^2-2*t-1)
  *** factornf: bug in GP (Segmentation Fault), please report
? nfisincl(x^2+1,x^4+1)
  *** nfisincl: bug in GP (Segmentation Fault), please report
? nfisisom(x^3+x^2-2*x-1,x^3+x^2-2*x-1)
  *** nfisisom: bug in GP (Segmentation Fault), please report

The two Core Duo seg faults that don't appear in the G5 case show up in the latter as complaints about a shortage of primes.

Are these known problems?

I ran the same check with 1.1277; it finished without any complaints. Well, just one, which is repeated in all three cases:
? setrand(1);bnfclassunit(x^2-x-100000)
*** bnfclassunit: Warning: insufficient precision for fundamental units, not given.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large, Director
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income