Ilya Zakharevich on Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:43:29 +0100

Re: Graphic support in CVS

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 03:11:35PM +0100, Karim Belabas wrote:
> > Are you sure?  You linked in gd, so gd terminals should work too.
> > Depending on what you have in your gd, something like this (from the docs)
> >
> > ? plotfile("aaa.png")
> > %1 = 1
> > ? plotterm("png=300,200")
> > %2 = 1
> > ? ploth(x=-1,20,sin(x^3))
>
> This does work. What I meant was that
>   plotterm("x11")
> does not work, so you need the X11 graphic engine in any case.

... And it was there in any case.

> > > If it could be made as an independant module that may be included without
> > > including any complicated hook in the PARI distribution, that would be fine
> > > Then the gnuplot interface could be recovered, provided something like
> > >
> > >   install Term::Gnuplot
> > >   Configure --graphic=gnuplot
> >
> > I do not think this worths a lot.  Major point of gnuplot terminals
> > was that one does not need to recompile GP/PARI (which is, in my
> > experience, a major hassle).
>
> What exact problems do you run into when compiling GP as a standalone
> tool ? E.g. Configure && make in current CVS.

Most often some silly readline misconfiguration.  CVS should be more
hardened in this respect indeed; I never tried to install CVS if all I
want to do is USE GP/PARI, not develop GP/PARI.

> > 2.3?  Do we have all the usability stuff addressed?  E.g., can one
> > execute arbitrary GP code from .gprc (or at least a way to load a file
> > recognizing "~/foo.gp" notation)?
>
> What's wrong with
>
>   read "~/foo.gp"
>
> ?

Are parameters EMACS READL VERSION PATHSEPARATOR pari_datadir
available from the read file?

Thanks,
Ilya