Joe Christy on Wed, 19 May 2004 02:38:59 +0200

Re: gp: anal.c more bugs

  Vis-a-vis your note of 04/28/2004 08:03 PM:
On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 12:38:27AM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:

Can you explain where you see the difference with the situation with
GMP kernel?  If there is no difference, I do not see any reason to
avoid inclusion of the graphing part...

Since GMP-enabled libpari and non-GMP enabled libpari use a different
soname

If so, how would your proposed `-lpari is the only flag needed' work?

I am not comfortable using different soname for every graphic
engine/kernel supported (none,none-gmp,X11,X11-gmp,fltk,fltk-gmp,Qt,Qt-none)
since it would be unwieldly to install all of them.

Install all of them?  What for?

PARI is a library for performing fast computation in number-theory.
For that purpose, GMP support is a large improvement. On the other end,
plotting support outside of GP is marginaly useful.

For my $0.02, I don't believe that including graphics in libpari is an acceptable idea. I have just spent an entire afternoon trying and failing to build a program that links against libpari (at version 2.2.8) and doesn't use any graphics whatsoever. No matter what loader flags I pass, it fails with:

/usr/local/lib/libpari.so: undefined reference to `plot_outfile_set'
/usr/local/lib/libpari.so: undefined reference to `set_pointsize'
/usr/local/lib/libpari.so: undefined reference to `rectdraw0'
/usr/local/lib/libpari.so: undefined reference to `term_set'
/usr/local/lib/libpari.so: undefined reference to `PARI_get_plot'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

If I wanted graphics, I'd write the program to call a graphics library on its own. Why should I have to go through some torture related to portplot.o? Am I condemned not to be able to link non-graphical programs against libpari so some hypothetical developer who wants to use graphics but only knows the pari overlays - get real!

	Joe

--
---- Voice:831/423-7151 --- Mobile:650/483-9123 --- FAX:831/469-0804 ---