木村巌 on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:55:22 +0100

desc system on cygwin

Hi all,

I tried to build the latest pari-gp (from CVS source) on my cygwin
environment (Microsoft Windows XP). The compilation seems to be done
without any trouble, but once I invoked gp, I found I can't use almost
all functions.

The problem is, in src/desc/PARI/822.pm (line 46 from above),
43  sub read
44  {
45
46          local $/="\n";
47          local *FILE;
48
49          my ($ret,$file,$check)=@_;
50          $check=0 if (!defined($check));

input record separator $/ is assumed to be "\n", but on Cygwin, this is
"\r\n". This causes pari.desc file become empty, and everything goes bad.
After modified this line, I could build good and sound gp.exe.

The second problem is that, the problem I noticed avobe is not caught
in a build process. When I try to update pari.desc by manually, the
following error message is raised:

iwao@jeff ~/Lang/C/pari/src/desc$ make pari.desc
perl merge_822 ../functions/*/*
../functions/conversions/List is not terminated at PARI/822.pm line 93, <FILE> line 9.
make: *** [pari.desc] Error 255

I don't have any good idea to resolve such kind of environment
dependency (so there is no pach in this message, sorry), but hope this
helps somebody troubled by the same issue.

Thanks.

Iwao KIMURA
Department of Math. Toyama University, Japan.