Bill Allombert on Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:25:46 +0100

Re: Using fifos for in/output

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 02:15:33PM +0000, Prof. J. E. Cremona wrote:
> [I am sending this to pari-dev, though I do not seem to have received
> anything from pari-dev for ages.  So this is partly a test to see if I
> still subscribed to that.]
>
> A couple of months ago there were some interesting postings from Bill
> and Karim about using a fifo (special unix file) for input.  I am
> interested in using a second fifo for output as well, either by
> redirecting stout or by using write().
>
> I really want this to work from within a C/C++ program, so that I can
> start up a gp process in the background, have my program occasionally
> send it input lines via its input fifo and then pick up the (one-line)
> output from its output fifo.  This would be more efficient than my
> current practice of starting a new "slave" gp for each such
> calculation, and getting its output via a temporary (ordinary) file to
> which gp directs its output.

Maybe you can reuse code from pariGUIde,
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/pariguide/>
file gpcontroller.cpp,
<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/pariguide/pariguide/pariguide/gpcontroller.cpp>

It implement exactly this functionnality.

I don't think there are any buffering issue.