Bill Allombert on Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:19:47 +0200

Re: make etags use -r and -l options that are not always available

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 12:56:59PM -0700, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 03:32:13PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > Hello PARI-dev,
> >
> > make etags fails if etags is
> >
> > Exuberant Ctags 5.2.2, Copyright (C) 1996-2001 Darren Hiebert
> >   Compiled: Feb 17 2002, 15:21:28
> >   Addresses: <dhiebert@users.sourceforge.net>, http://ctags.sourceforge.net
> >   Optional compiled features: +wildcards, +regex
> >
> > This is due to the use of the -r and -l options that are not supported.
>
> So upgrade to the version which supports them...  [The complaint is
> similar to trying to compile PARI with Visual Basic interpreter.]
> Actualy, I suspect that this etags is just named similarly to the
> "standard" one; there is no sense in having etags without -l and -r.

Exhuberant Ctags is usually considered an improvment over regular etags.
Anyway I have the etags shipped with emacs20 named etags.emacs20.

We just need to let the user choose what etags program he want to use.
Something like
make etags "ETAGS=etags.emacs20"
would be quite sufficient.