Karim BELABAS on Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:45:14 +0100 (MET)

RIP: src/kernel/m68k/mp.s

Dear PARI lovers,

  I have removed all support for the historical 680x0 assembler kernel around
which the first versions of PARI were written ( by Christian Batut, Henri
Cohen and Michel Olivier, around 1985 ).

This kernel was unmaintained since 1997 [ the year our last sun3 died ], and
we never succeeded in recompiling it since then. It contained a large number
of hardcoded obsolete material and forced us to maintain complicated
alternate logics among the various kernel files. Since the GMP kernel now
contains more efficient 68k-optimized routines, there was no reason to
keep it around.

So much for nostalgia...

Cheers,

    Karim.

P.S: mp.s is still available from

  http://www.math.u-psud.fr/~belabas/pari/fun.html
--
Karim Belabas                    Tel: (+33) (0)1 69 15 57 48
Dép. de Mathématiques, Bât. 425  Fax: (+33) (0)1 69 15 60 19