Justin C. Walker on Tue, 3 Dec 2002 13:30:01 -0800

Re: --host in Configure

On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 11:25 AM, Bill Allombert wrote:

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 10:28:43AM -0800, Justin C. Walker wrote:
Here are the last lines of the build transcript:

It look like PARI lack ranlib support. This is irrelevant for this problem
but strange: the following extract of config/Makefile.SH is interesting:

if test -n "$ranlib"; then
cat >> $file << EOT

EOT
fi

I'll try to figure out what's wrong here. As you say, it's not directly relevant to our problem.

The library seems to have built successfully (I have libpari-2.2.2.dylib
in the buidl directory, but for some reason, the following line,
building gp_dyn, is trying to use the non-dynamic library that is in
/usr/local/lib.  It insists on using it.

I've copied the dylib by hand to /usr/local/lib, and removed the
-L/usr/local/lib's, and the ersult is as above.

Well, this does not surprise me. I do not have full information about
the -install_name option, but I expected a similar problem.

I am not quite sure what should be done here.

At least for testing, could you try
cd Odarwin-ppc; make install-lib; make gp-dyn

This appears to do what I did by hand; in any case, the result is the same (the dylib got installed, and the last make complained about the ".a" library. For some reason, it (gcc) thinks that the app should be built with the static library. I'll try to figure out what's going wrong and let you know.

Also if you can find -install_name documentation (probably in gcc manpage
or info files) this will help us a lot.

I'll dig into it and reply.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Justin

Cheers,
Bill

--
/~\ The ASCII           Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-at-Large
\ / Ribbon Campaign