Bill Allombert on Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:37:13 +0100

Re: --host in Configure

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 03:26:36PM -0800, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> On Saturday, November 30, 2002, at 02:46 PM, Bill Allombert wrote:
> >
> > That would be pretty silly of it. Even if /usr/local/include is in the
> > default search path of this patched gcc, it should accept it for the
> > sake of portability.
>
> I don't understand it either (the complaint, specifically, is about
> "changing the search order for system directory").  I've got a request
> outstanding for an explanation.

This means it treats /usr/local/include as a 'system header path'. System
header paths are searched *after* all user-specified paths (with -I). If you
specify -I/usr/local/include, then you will have it searched *before*
user-specified paths that are after it on the command-line, so it output a
warning. This is harmless.

> > The problem is that DLLD was set to ld instead of cc, and ld
> >  does not like options of cc
>
> Tried it; got a complaint that '-compatibility_version' only works with
> '-dynamiclib'; so I added that and got our old friend the multiple
> definition error:

Oh yes. I forgot it. Thanks!

> ld: multiple definitions of symbol _hiremainder
> kernel.o definition of _hiremainder in section (__DATA,__common)
> mp.o definition of _hiremainder in section (__DATA,__common)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol _overflow
> kernel.o definition of _overflow in section (__DATA,__common)
> mp.o definition of _overflow in section (__DATA,__common)
> alglin1.o definition of _hiremainder in section (__DATA,__common)
> alglin1.o definition of _overflow in section (__DATA,__common)

I can see two possibilities here:

1) the easiest: you did not do a make clean and so some files were not
recompiled with -fno-common. This may happen to everyone :-).

2) We have forgotten to use 'extern' in some declarations. In this case, is
the above message the full error message, or there is other problems ?